Thursday, April 2, 2009

Seed Swap


I joined Howling Hill's seed swap because I knew I'd be introduced to new stuff. The envelope arrived yesterday from Mindy and I was NOT disappointed! Before I even opened it, I could smell something delicious - even the mail lady asked what it was.

As it turns out, it was Garlic - several cloves.

As I've never done a seed swap before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Take a close look at the photo - there are dozens and dozens of different seeds in there.

Part of the instructions said "No GM" (genetically modified) which is awesome. Up until very recently, I was completely unaware of the impending status of our seed sources here in the U.S. If we don't do something about it, soon the availability of seed plus the sheer amount of different types of seed is going to be gone.

When I started blog reading, many people said they bought their seeds from one company or another, mostly based off of price or customer service. However, I discovered this list which should help you to find more heirloom, non-hybrid seeds. If you're like me and you have some of the hybrid GM seeds, use them up or give them away. If you do use them, don't bother to harvest the seeds.

I joined the Seed Savers Challenge a while ago and I hope you will to. We all need to do our part to save heirloom, open pollinated, NON GM seeds.

Okay, off my soap box and on to the seeds!

There were so many incredible options to choose from. It was a seed buffet in that overstuffed envelope!

I took pinch amounts of seeds except for one package which only had a few seeds and I took them all. So here's a sampling of what I pinched:

Moon & Stars Watermelon
Speckled Limas - okay, confession time - I don't like Limas but the seeds look COOL
Nu Mex Big Jim chili pepper
Green Culinary Sage
Garlic cloves
Gold Nugget Squash
Banana Squash
Parisan Pickling Cucumber
Bushel Gourds
Sweet Fennel
Rhubarb (I had no idea it went to seed!!!)
Lumina White Pumpkin
White tipped scarlet Radish
Coriander (Cilantro before it bolts, right?)
Long Purple Eggplant
Fava Bean - again, NO CLUE why I took 4 beans except they are COOL looking
Dill
Mustard Greens


I put in:

Mortgage Lifter Tomato
Arkansas Traveler Tomato
Super Sioux Tomato
Chives
Stevia
Sweet Majoram
Zinnia
Marigold

The flowers were the only seeds I'd saved from my own garden, the rest came from a reliable source for non-GM seeds.

I was lucky enough to live close to the next participant on the list, Phelan, and I hand delivered the package to her earlier today, although I did offer to mail it :D

Thank you Howling Hill and Mindy and all the other swap participants! This year, when I'm working in the garden, I'll think of you.
If you haven't participated in a seed swap, I highly encourage you to do so!

2 comments:

Judy T said...

Did you ever get the tomato seeds I sent. It's been a while. Mine are up and ready to be transplanted.
Judy

ChristyACB said...

What you got is great but what you gave is fantastic! Stevia seeds are pure gold, you know. And the Mortgage Lifter tomato is a champion, for sure!

I'm also a devoted heirloom seed person. Baker Creek seeds is really awesome and you should give them a try. A bit more pricey, but very very careful in avoiding GM contamination. They actually test their seeds for it, which isn't something anyone else does that I know of.

Let us know how your garden grows.