Friday, May 15, 2009

Adopt a Soldier


Do you remember the movie Pay It Forward? The premise was to do a good deed for someone and they will pay it forward, creating a ripple effect and the good deeds would just keep on being done.

I love that idea. I'm always on the lookout for a way to 'pay it forward'.

A website was sent to me recently that has a daily good deed report. Check it out. Every month, they tackle a new project.
Reading their site led me to Wish Upon a Hero. Of course, it's been televised several times, but *ahem* I don't watch much tv so I missed it. Anyway, the premise there is you can be a wish grantor or wishee. So many of the wishes are for card showers ~ for a great grandma celebrating a milestone birthday or a recent graduate who has no family or for a child that needs a pick me up. Yes, this I can do! I signed up and have been having a blast sending out cards. (Although the website is painfully slow ~ not complaining, just saying.)

Of course, that website led to me the best one yet Adopt A Soldier. I signed up a few days ago and today I got an email with my soldier's info. That was FAST!!

My soldier is a 39 year old gal from California. Now, when I think of Soldier, I think of my nephew - young, 20-something, single guy. I don't think of someone who is my age!! I didn't get much info so I don't know if she's a wife or a mom. All her request said is that she'd like some personal care items. She misses being in familiar places (home!) and whatever she gets (cards, letters or packages) she will share with the other soldiers there.

That made me tear up. She's a gal after my own heart!!!

I know that with summer upon us, this will be a fun project for our family to work on together. Gathering little items and making cards, letters and pictures to send to Colette.

So, won't you take a minute and go be a hero?! Let's pay this one forward!!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is so cool! Thank you for the wonderful find, it looks like loads of fun!

Jena said...

Wow, great idea. I like the idea of being able to touch a stranger's life in such a positive way. I will check out those websites for sure, and thanks for the heads up.

ChristyACB said...

On my last deployment, we got a package of goodies from someone we didn't know. It was wonderful! We'd been out to sea for about 60 days at that point off the coast of Africa, with no food supply and no mail the whole time. When we finally got a drop of mail, there was this wonderful package with cookies and sweets and we fell on it like wolves! It was a wonderful moment of pure relief. Whoever your soldier is, they will bless you for anything you do.

Sue said...

What an incredibly neat way to reach out to someone. These sites are great!

Anonymous said...

Great Idea!!

Renee

gardendesk.com

Lanny said...

Great Post!

The Three Little Bears said...

I am going to look into this!

PS: Thank you for your comment on today's post. I love hearing from other moms like you. I think you are right, some women don't realize that they DON'T have to share all the details and automatically do.